Down Syndrome Queensland believes that families have the right to feel supported in their choices no matter which path they choose. We aim to provide balanced, researched information so that people can make the right choice for them.
Some people contact our service as they are undecided about continuing with the pregnancy and want to know all the options available to them, whilst other people are more certain about their decision. Down Syndrome Queensland offers an unbiased service and can provide you with up to date information on;
- Screening vs diagnostic testing
- False positive test results
- What the results will show and what they won’t show
- What is Down syndrome
- What are the health conditions associated with Down syndrome
- Explore what is a good life and modern views of disability
- Parenting a child with Down syndrome
- Termination options and time frames to consider
- Follow up support
You may find this information helpful if you are considering having prenatal testing or if you have had a test that shows your baby may have Down syndrome. Visit our Resource Hub for more information about prenatal testing.