In 2023, Down Syndrome Western Australia (DSWA) is running a pilot program of Regional Outreach with generous support from Telethon.
The aim of this program is to support and connect parents/families and people with Down syndrome in regional areas throughout our large state. DSWA staff will also connect and engage with key local stakeholders, including service providers, medical and education professionals.
Goals of the regional Outreach program:
- Connect families living in the same communities
- Appoint volunteers Regional Representatives in each region who will be a parent, carer or sibling, along with adults with Down syndrome. The Regional Representatives will be the grass-roots connection between DSWA and its members and participants across WA. They will help us to know what families and people with Down syndrome want and need; and help ensure that DSWA meet these needs and wants through our programs and services. Regional Representatives will have training and induction with DSWA to ensure they can perform their roles efficiently.
- DSWA staff will reach out to medical professionals, social workers, child health nurses and schools and supply them with up-to-date knowledge and resources.
- Increase awareness of Down Syndrome Western Australia.
- DSWA will support local fundraising and events
For information please contact DSWA and ask to speak with our Senior Coordinator.