World Down Syndrome Day
March 21st is World Down Syndrome Day, which has been officially recognised by the United Nations since 2012.
On this day, people all around the world celebrate the lives and achievements of people with Down syndrome, creating a global voice, advocating for the rights, inclusion and wellbeing of people with Down syndrome.
Lots of Socks
We want to get people talking about WDSD on 21 March. We can do this if we all
wear socks…BUT NOT JUST ANY SOCKS…wear official LOTS OF SOCKS logo socks, other brightly coloured socks, long socks, printed socks, 1 sock…maybe even 3 socks for 3 chromosomes.
The choice is yours, but we ask you to join us in wearing something which people will ask you about so that you can tell them all about WDSD. It is easy to do, so whether you are at home, nursery, school, university, work, play, travel, holiday or anywhere, join in!
The schools package can be used by teachers to help raise awareness. Ask your child’s teacher or school to join in by holding a ‘Lots of Socks’ day. Download the Lots of Socks resource as a PDF.
You can also learn more at the official Lots Of Socks page via Down Syndrome International.
T4321 (‘Tea for trisomy 21’)
T4321 is held throughout the month of March to celebrate World Down Syndrome Day and the lives and achievements of people with Down syndrome.
To celebrate the occasion and to raise funds for the Australian state and territory Down syndrome associations, we are asking members and supporters to hold local fundraising and awareness events across the country.
Down Syndrome Australia has launched its new T4321 website, where you can sign up to host an event, support others, help fundraise, or learn more about it all.
Hosts are invited to download the following resources to help make organising their party a piece of cake!
- Beautiful postcard to print and send or send electronically (PDF)
- What is Down Syndrome? Information sheet (PDF) (DOC)
- T4321 themed invite for you to send to your friends (DOC)
- Quick & easy sweet recipe suggestions (PDF) (DOC)
- Quick & easy savoury recipe suggestions (PDF) (DOC)
- A Media release template for you to send to your community paper with a ‘human interest’ story to highlight World Down Syndrome Day (DOC)
- Fundraising ideas for hosting a morning or afternoon tea (PDF) (DOC)
A letter seeking donations to help towards your menu that can be taken to your local businesses, and a thank you certificate is also available. Just contact your local association and they will provide it to you!
In addition to the previous items, hosts may also receive:
- Balloons, tea bags and a few goodies to help with your event
- Two collection tin labels to fit a (milo or similar) tin (for your fund raising efforts)
- Details of how to bank donations raised from your T4321