Down Syndrome QLD’s Travel Training manual is a do-it-yourself guide to building your skills in independent travel.
The manual provides a structured training process for a person with Down syndrome (or intellectual disability) to work through, with the support of a ‘travel coach’ of their choice. The travel coach may be a parent, carer, friend, or support worker. The manual provides all the tools and guidance the coach needs to facilitate a training tailored to traveller’s skill level – from beginner to advanced.
The training is based on the traveller using one route for regular travel and building their skills as they practice planning and travelling a route of their choice.
Upon purchase, Down Syndrome QLD will post you a hard copy of the training manual. The manual contains homework activities and assessment tools that are designed to be written on/filled in while you are on the go. If you would prefer to complete these on a device, we can provide you with an interactive pdf of the assessment tools and homework activities.
Upon completing Travel Training, contact Down Syndrome Queensland to receive your Graduation certificate.
- Ten week, self-guided program
- Recommended minimum of ten sessions
- Requires a ‘traveller’ and ‘coach’ to participate and facilitate the process
- Program includes
- Identifying a relevant Travel Goal and Route
- Building Skills and Confidence in Travel
- Accompanied, Shadowed and Independent travel
- Structure, Strategies, Assessment Tools & Homework Activities
- Graduation certificate upon completion.