How will people be supported to participate

How will people be supported to participate thumbnail.

How will people be supported to participate in the Disability Royal Commission? 

It is important that people with disability have support and assistance to share their experiences through the Royal Commission. Legal, emotional and advocacy support is available.

Free legal advisory service

The Disability Royal Commission Legal Service can provide advice and information to people interested in interacting with the Disability Royal Commission.

The agency is independent from the Disability Royal Commission and can provide assistance and advice on getting legal help, making a supmission or getting support.  For more information about legal services please check out their website or contact them via:

Free call 1800 771 800 between 9:15am to 5:15pm AEDT, Mon – Fri, excluding public holidays.

Emotional Support Service

The Department of Social Services, on behalf of the Disability Royal Commission, has launched a national, free counselling and referral service delivered by the Blue Knot Foundation.

The counselling and referral service is available for people with disability, their families and carers, and anyone affected by the Disability Royal Commission. 

Call the National Counselling and Referral Service on 1800 421 468 or 02 6146 1468 to obtain: 

  • support for your emotional wellbeing
  • support for making choices about telling your story
  • information on other practical supports available to you.

The Service operates 9:00am to 6:00pm weekdays and 9:00am to 5:00pm weekends (AEDT).

People who are deaf, hard of hearing and/or have a speech impairment can contact us through the National Relay Service (NRS). Please phone 133 677.

If you require support in another language please use the free of charge Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National), by:

  • calling the National Counselling and Referral Service on 1800 421 468 and asking for an interpreter. The counsellor will make the arrangements, or
  • calling TIS National on 131 450 and asking to be connected to the National Counselling and Referral Service on 1800 421 468. 

Visit the Department of Social Services website for more information about the available supports.

People can also contact:

Beyond Blue Support Service – phone 1300 224 636 (24 hours/7 days) – provides free, immediate, short-term counselling, advice and referral to anyone in Australia via telephone, webchat or email 24/7. 

Lifeline Crisis Support – phone 13 11 14 (24 hours/7 days) or chat to a crisis supporter online (7pm – midnight/7 nights). This is a confidential service providing support to anyone in Australia who is feeling overwhelmed, having difficulty coping, or thinking about suicide. This service also provides advice to anyone caring for that person.

Legal financial assistance scheme

Advocacy services

The Government has extended its well-established National Disability Advocacy Program (NDAP) to support people with disability to engage with the Disability Royal Commission.

An advocate will be able to help people with disability to understand how to tell their story to the Disability Royal Commission, how to work out problems or avoid discriminatory issues, find communication supports such as interpreters, and access other supports such as legal or financial services.

Discover program information at National Disability Advocacy Program or locate a service provider near you with the Disability Advocacy Finder.