Our submission on the National Disability Strategy
November 2, 2020
Down Syndrome Australia (DSA) welcomes the opportunity to provide a submission to the Department of Social Services (DSS) on the development of a new National Disability Strategy (NDS).
The NDS is a key mechanism for driving inclusive policy and programs across all levels of government and the implementation of Australia’s commitments as a signatory to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD). The new Strategy must articulate a clear and achievable roadmap for achieving a more inclusive society over the next 10 years across education, health, justice, employment, and community life.
For the new NDS to be effective it must:
- Include a plan for ensuring meaningful engagement of people with disabilities in all aspects of the implementation, evaluation and reporting of the NDS
- Articulate a clear roadmap for achieving a more inclusive society including the phasing out of segregated settings for people with a disability
- Be appropriately resourced for the coordination and implementation of the strategy, outcome measurement and reporting, and support for the involvement of people with disability.
- Have clearly defined and measurable goals for each outcome area which can be reported against on an annual basis.
- Have clear and focused Targeted Action Plans which include structural changes to policy to achieve outcomes for people with disabilities.
- Clearly identify the roles of DPOs and DROs in supporting the implementation of the strategy and how they will be resourced to do so.
- Identify intellectual disability as a priority population under the guiding principles.
- Consider workforce implications of the Strategy.
It is also essential that DSS provides another opportunity for consultation on a fully developed draft of the National Disability Strategy to ensure that people with disability and relevant organisations have an opportunity to provide feedback on the detailed content of the NDS.
Read our submission on the National Disability Strategy in PDF here.
Read our submission on the National Disability Strategy in Word here.