Lots of Socks 2022
What is World Down Syndrome Day?
World Down Syndrome Day (WDSD), 21 March, is a global awareness day that has been officially observed by the United Nations since 2012.
The date for WDSD is the 21st day of the 3rd month. This date was selected to signify the uniqueness of the triplication (trisomy) of the 21st chromosome which causes Down syndrome.
Why get involved?
WDSD is a unique annual opportunity for the global Down syndrome community to connect.
We connect so that we can:
• Share ideas, experiences and knowledge,
• Empower each other to advocate for equal rights for people with Down syndrome, and
• Reach out to key stakeholders to bring about positive change.
Join in with us to celebrate World Down Syndrome Day which creates a single global voice for advocating for the rights, inclusion and wellbeing of people with Down syndrome on 21 March.
How you can get involved
Each year in Australia we run the Lots of Socks campaign. This year we want you involved in creating a design that will be used for 2022 and 2023.
We are giving individuals with Down syndrome a chance to design the coming year’s socks! Two designs will be selected (1 per sock) and will be used to promote WDSD in Australia and the Lots of Socks campaign in 2022. As per previous years, the sock sales will directly raise funds for your local Down Syndrome Association.
Do you have Down syndrome? Do you have a flair for art and design? Then you could be one of the artists we are looking for!
Some designing tips:
- Sock design should be one image that can be repeated on the sock
- Use no more than 7 colours
- Simple is best – no complicated patterns, as some details will be difficult to print.
The theme is Australiana … So get out there and create.
- Your design will be judged by a panel of your peers & two winners will be selected.
- Competition closes on 31 July 2021.
- Only one artwork entry per person.