New Parent Information Pack
Looking for information for new parents? Download our New Parent Information Pack.
These resources are designed specifically for parents and families with a new baby who has been diagnosed with Down syndrome.
If you would like to refer yourself or your patient to us for further information and support, please click on the below buttons and complete the form
Congratulations on the birth of your baby, and welcome – we’re so glad you’ve found us 😊
It’s possible you’re experiencing a wide range of emotions following your baby’s birth / diagnosis. Know that many families before you have felt that way too. If at any time you would like to explore such feelings, know we are here to help in any way we can. Our Early Years Officer would be happy to connect with you. by phone, Zoom, face to face (depending upon location) or email – whatever works best for you.
Many parents worry about how having a child with Down syndrome will impact their family. Of course, every family is different, but personal stories and research show that most families that have a child with Down syndrome are stable and happy, and that their siblings often have greater compassion and empathy. Families generally find their feet and include the needs of their child with Down syndrome with the needs of all family members. How this happens will be different for everyone as each child and family is unique.
Across the early years, we can provide ongoing support and information across a range of areas as children grow and develop, such as:
- Post-birth support for the whole family, including sibling support
- Accessing the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
- Early intervention and early childhood development information & advice, specifically in relation to the functional impact of Down syndrome
- Access to free webinars and workshops
- Referral to peer supporters (other families and people with Down syndrome) for additional local support
- Information on available financial and carer assistance
- Transitioning to early childhood & school settings
- Linking to Facebook support groups (search Facebook for Down Syndrome Queensland Support Group) & engaging in local social events
There are many resources that you may find helpful in the coming months, as you get to know your baby more. You can find these in the Resource Hub of our website. Simply filter for the area that interests you from the left side column (e.g. New Parent; Early Years). We look forward to connecting with you and your baby sometime soon. In the meantime, take the time to get to know your baby and enjoy those early days of parenthood 😊