DSV FitSkills: Brunswick, Coburg and City of Melbourne
Trying to get to the gym but finding it too hard?
Do you need a partner to help you go to the gym?
We would love you to join our NDIS FitSkills program.
FitSkills is an evidence-based, 10-week physical activity program designed for individuals with Down syndrome. Each participant is paired with a dedicated volunteer FitSkills Partner for motivation and support. Weekly facilitated 1-hour workouts at the gym are followed by social meals, fostering community. The program, tailored by a physiotherapist, includes personalised, easy-to-read exercise programs with regular check-ins. FitSkills aims to enhance fitness and well-being through a supportive and inclusive approach.
FitSkills is being offered by DSV as an NDIS service.
What to expect:
- Weekly gym sessions
- Physiotherapist prescribed, individualised and goals-based exercise program
- A supportive and engaging environment
- Group meal to foster camaraderie
- Facilitated sessions, ensuring a seamless experience
- To become a part of the gym community
There are lots of benefits to everyone for being involved in the FitSkills program, such as:
- Increased physical fitness
- Improved mental health
- Reduce social isolation
- Increased community inclusion
FitSkills is currently operating at:
- Brunswick Baths | Thursdays, 5.30pm. Includes workout and dinner.
- Coburg Leisure Centre | Mondays, 5.30pm. Includes workout and dinner.
- Melbourne City Baths | Wednesdays, 12pm. Includes workout and lunch.
We will be looking to expand our FitSkills program to more locations in 2024. If you or your gym would like to be involved, please see the relevant information for individuals, volunteers and gyms below.