FitSkills for volunteers
FitSkills is a program that helps people with disability access gyms by increasing their confidence in going to the gym by providing them with a volunteer partner. The program runs for 12 weeks and participants attend the gym together twice a week.
What are the benefits for volunteers?
- Make a contribution to the community
- Learn more about people with disability
- Combine exercise with doing something good
What commitment is required from volunteers?
You would be matched with an adult with Down syndrome in your area. You would support them and be their partner at the gym. The program requires a commitment of the following:
- Participating in a 4 hour induction training session
- Going to the gym with your partner for 12 weeks, twice a week
- Check ins with physiotherapist to provide support for you and your partner